The primary purpose of the Carmel Catholic Library is to support the philosophy, programs, and educational objectives of Carmel High School. The library serves as an extension of the classroom; providing services, materials, and facilities which support and enrich the curriculum, while enabling the users to develop into independent life long learners.
The goals include:
- To foster independent thinking
- To provide an environment in which students and staff learn to access, evaluate, develop, and use information in a variety of formats
- To provide information seeking skills instruction and to integrate these skills into the curriculum through the use of information resources
- To provide opportunities for students to expand researching skills through activities within the curriculum
- To provide individual assistance and instruction to students when appropriate
- To encourage lifelong learning and literacy through reading.
Student and Faculty Resources
- 21,000+ books, popular magazines and scholarly journals on a variety of subjects
- On-line access to subscription databases and the World Wide Web
- Word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software
- Back issues of periodicals are available at the circulation desk
- Books on Tape
- Videos and DVD’s (faculty only)
Teachers are encouraged to bring their students into the library for research during the school day. A sign-up sheet is available at the circulation desk. A copy of your assignment would be appreciated at least 1 day in advance so we can locate the appropriate resources for your class. Even better, would be a quick chat with one of the librarians about the assignment.
- 2 weeks for books, with one renewal period
- Special project and reference materials can be checked out overnight. Materials are due back before 8:15 am the next day
- ID cards are required for checkout
- 10 cents per day for regular materials
- $1.00 per day for special project and reference materials
- Library items must be returned and all fines paid prior to taking semester exams.
- All lost items must be paid for. There may be a replacement cost, service charge and fines.
A Quiet Place
Finally, the Library is a quiet place. Not silent -- but pretty quiet; everyone is expected to work with a minimum of conversation. Speak quietly and behave in a manner consistent with study.
- The library is an academic area and cell phone use is not allowed at any time.
- Do not bring food, candy or drinks into the library.
- Take care of business before you come to the library – no bathroom or locker passes.
- All items taken from the library must be checked out.
- Please allow time to check out. If you wait until the last minute you may be late for class.
We welcome any suggestions/recommendations you have for the library collection and services.
If you have questions feel free to phone us at 847-388-3347.